Friday, July 15, 2011

Breaking Down

Breaking down, not broken done, that’s me and I don’t like it.

I am 63½ years old. I remember when I used to look at people in their 60’s and think they were ancient, especially those who were broken down by life or health problems.

Now I am one of them, someone in his 60’s and breaking down, not broken down, not yet anyway. But I am concerned.

Let’s be clear, all is not bad. Not even close, my bride and I will celebrate 40 years of marriage on July 27, 2011. I completed a master’s program in Christian Studies in late April. Second granddaughter (Emily) was born in mid-March this year, what a wonderful blessing. Made a tandem skydive last October during a visit to Oshkosh, WI.

I lead a blessed life, no matter the sound of complaining herein. I know I am a future citizen of Heaven and have the promise of a new body as well. To tell you the truth, I am looking forward to the new body now. I can look forward to that body because I know Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. Everything pales beside this knowledge.

Still, I have two new knees from just over two years ago and I love them. Prior to the new knees, I was like one of the walking wounded, always walking about in great pain. Reading glasses are a must, as my arms are way too short to read most printed material. And my hearing is going too with over a 33 percent loss in the past year alone. And of course I am diabetic, type 2, and 40-50 pounds overweight. The weight aggravates the diabetes, so I am working at dropping it down. Even though I have put on 10 pounds (it was 20) in the past 6 months.

I am very concerned about my current blood sugar levels. I used to be able to bring the level down to 70-100 with walking and eating the right foods. Now no matter what I do, the low numbers are 120-150. Not good. I am headed towards becoming a type 1 diabetic. Not happy about that.

My greatest concern though is something new. Nodding off. Falling asleep. Micro-napping. No idea what is going on or causing it. Have increased my sleep to an average of 7½ hours per night which helps, but only helps. The occurrences are fewer in number, but continue.

To attack the problem I have a sleep study scheduled for Thursday night next week. Do you have any idea how silly that sounds to me? Nonetheless, I will do it. This last problem has to be resolved. To not solve it places my job in jeopardy. Not good.

In spite of everything, I think God has use for me on this earth for another 10 or 20 or 30 or more years. To keep myself available I must, I shall, do my best to improve my health. However, to be clear, if I should pass tomorrow, there should be no sadness and no tears for I have had an incredibly blessed life in so many and varied ways. More on that at a later date.

Postscript: Sleep study complete, will discuss results next week with our family physician. Weight is down to 230 lbs. (40 to go) and blood sugar has dropped as well. Walking 4 to 10 miles a day has its benefits, especially if you are walking with your bride and discovering how much you enjoy each others company during an hour plus stroll … stopping to look at different things, taking a few pictures, and holding hands throughout. I said it before and I will say it again, “I am blessed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment